Café Latte

Café Latte
Café Latte

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

The Blue House


Traveling to Mexico City, and visiting the home and  art studios of the famous Mexican Artists Frida Kahlo and her husband Diego Rivera, allowed me to check off an entry on my Bucket List!

Since I saw the movie "Frida", starring Selma Hayek, I have been fascinated with Frida and Diego. Yes, I am on a first name basis with them. I even have a framed photograph of the couple mixed in among our family photos! For a long time, I have wanted to see The Blue House (Frida's house) and to walk the catwalk that connects their respective art studios. I was not disappointed. The house is as colorful as the couple that lived in it. On the walls of the house are Frida quotes. Reading the quotes as I moved through the rooms left me feeling like I had had a conversation with a friend. I really enjoyed how this personalized my visit.

"Never in life I will forget your presence. You found me torn apart and you took me back full and complete."

One of my favorite Frida quotes is preserved in writing only, "I drank to drown the pain, then the pain learned how to swim". Everything Frida did, she did with great passion.

As a child, Frida was hit by a bus. From that day forward, her life was one of pain. Frida underwent numerous surgeries in hope of fixing her broken body and relieving pain. It was her father, who inspired Frida to paint during her long periods of  bed rest. As Frida matured, she feared that if she spoke of her pain, which was constant, she would not have any friends. So instead she vividly expressed her pain in her artwork.........

The Kitchen

Diego's Room

Frida's Room, A Reminder Of Loss

Shared Side By Side In-House Art Studio
Diego's Side

The Blue House Gardens

Frida and Diego's separate art studios connected by a catwalk. The studio on the left is Diego's, with Frida's on the right.


La Senora

1 comment:

  1. Your posting reminds us so much of why we enjoyed The Blue House, too!
    H & N

    ReplyDelete