Café Latte

Café Latte
Café Latte

Friday, March 11, 2016

Defining Querétaro


Santiago de Querétaro is the capital and largest city of the state of Querétaro. The word Querétaro has multiple meanings:

In the Indigenous Languages of the Otomi and Purépecha, the meaning is "Ball Game" and "Place of Crags", referring to the rocky hills.

In Pre-Columbian terminology, the meaning is "Island of the Blue Salamanders", "Place of Reptiles" or "Place of Giant Rocks".

In the Spanish Language, the meaning is "Place of Great People".

In La Señora Language, the meaning is "City of Churches and Fountains".

Templo de La Santa Cruz 
I am probably short changing the city when I say there are hundreds of churches and fountains! From almost every street you can see a church or at least have a view of a church steeple or dome. With over 96% of the population being Catholic, I guess this should come as no surprise. Many of the churches can lay claim to their own fountain, as well as the plazas, parks and most street corners. I am in awe of the magnificent and detailed architecture of the churches and the artistic creativity of the fountains. I am also peacefully awaken each morning, at 5:15, by the ringing of the church bells.

Capilla de La Merced Dome

On our Sunday morning walks it is not unusual to see many of these churches filled to capacity! For some reason, I am affected by the site of  this and I find myself stopping and staring in admiration. I do not understand why this moves me, but it does. Maybe it is the passion, peace, dedication or loyalty to something greater than mankind. Who am I kidding, this Catholic girl is feeling guilty about standing on the outside looking in!

Templo de Santa Rosa de Viterbo
Templo de Santo Domingo
Templo de San Francisco
Sunset View of Church Steeples and Domes
Plaza de Armas
Hill of Bells, Children's Fountain
Calle Cinco de Mayo
Otomi Warrior Fountain
Neptune / Temple de Santa Clara

I hope you have enjoyed!
La Señora

No comments:

Post a Comment